With the looming digital switch, we at TopTenREVIEWS have been discussing what we can do with our old television sets once the country goes entirely digital. Like most of America, most of us have a cable or satellite connection and dont really need to throw out our old TVs, but hey, were using the switch as a fancy excuse to buy one of those new fangled HDTVs.
According to the EPA it is estimated that 20 million standard CRT televisions were thrown into landfills in 2005. We dont like the idea of filling landfills with old TV sets. So, heres TopTenREVIEWS
TopTen ways to recycle that old analog set. We know some ideas are sillier than others.
**Wed also like to warn readers that some of these suggestions can be dangerous. When dismantling your old TV be extremely careful as even unplugged televisions store electricity. Hit the Net for the proper way to disassemble a tube television or take it to a local TV service shop for help.**
1. Recycle- Televisions can contain lead, mercury, cadmium and other dangerous materials and if disposed of improperly these materials will leak into the soil. This may seem like an obvious option but many people dont even know that television recycling exists. Even if you decide to keep the TV and just remove its guts look for a proper way to recycle the insides. Most major retailers and manufactures are working to increase television recycling awareness. Go to Earth 911 or Plug-in to eCycling for recycling locations and more information.
2. Donate- Schools especially could use the extra TV love. Most schools have televisions in class rooms on closed circuits or use them to show movies and National Geographic specials. Old TVs will still work with DVD players and VCRs.
3. Give it to the Kids- How many times can you stand to watch Disney DVDs? Put the old set in the kids room and let them watch their favorite DVDs and you can have a few moments of peace and quiet.
4. Make an Aquarium- You know youve always wanted to make your television into a fish tank. Now is your chance.
5. Use it as an End Table- Those with really old sets that have large wooden enclosures know exactly what this means.
6. Make Art- If people made toilets into art, whos to say that an old television set cant be made into art? Use your imagination people.
7. Build a Coffee Table- Turn your television on its back, stabilize, place a piece of glass over top and voila